About Me

New England, United States
I'm a mom, community (non-political) volunteer and organizer, graduate student, and knitter of pants trying to find my way in this new decade.

Friday, February 26, 2010

I should be knitting. Right now.

I brought knitting to my high school. When I visit now, twelve years or so after graduating, girls are still knitting in all-school meeting ... having no idea where/how/who brought them "knitting elective".

What's the point? I don't mean to be funny.

What is the purpose of knitting? Machine-knitting is in my everyday life. Much of my clothing is knit, not woven. Why would anyone take the time to knit something from scratch, by hand? These days you can easily buy a synthetic--or wool--equivalent for cheaper than the crafting materials. The answer is simply PROCESS.

The act of creating cloth from sequential knots and loops in the exact color you want, is nothing short of miraculously therapeutic. Each row--or half-row--is a journey and is full of teachable moments. Collectively, those moments may make a hat, a scarf, a dainty child's jacket in green, a chunky aran for next winter, a pair of pants your child might refuse to wear; but, in reality they are bringing bytes of zen to your head through every nerve ending in your hands. Knitting reminds me that I need to be proactive about my learning process and all the relationships I have. Conflict is frightening, but, if dealt with calmly--much like a dropped stitch--it can bring bountiful rewards, well beyond simply avoiding having to frog the whole project (i.e. pull out and start over: for those of you who aren't knitting lingo savvy).

As I said, I should be knitting. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment