About Me

New England, United States
I'm a mom, community (non-political) volunteer and organizer, graduate student, and knitter of pants trying to find my way in this new decade.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Relational Practice

I came across a term I don't like: "relational practice." This appears to go beyond the golden rule of treating others as you yourself prefer to be treated. It suggests that within grassroots organizations, workers should focus heavily on modeling the relationships and types of societies they aspire to politically. The key problem, which is thankfully addressed by the authors, is that this can get in the way of "THE WORK" of the organization.

To relate this to a discussion we have been having about Frances Moore Lappé's book Getting a Grip, there we have agreed that positive thinking is harder to maintain, but all the more inspiring, than negative thinking a la her downward spiral of fear. Positive thinking is supported externally; negative thinking are supported by self-doubt and enhanced by institutionally preservationist behaviors. What better way than have a small community (like a grassroots organization) work on supporting their own members and their communities' positive outlook? Simple solution? Not really.

I fear (budumbum ching) that these small communities have the tendency to attract people who are filling an emotional or social void in their life through their interactions with the group and group members. They support the work of the organization, but are the first to collapse into habits of clique-forming, bullying, micromanaging, and gossiping. They feel good vibes when the goings good and fall into depths of despair when solutions appear far off or, god forbid, they feel taken for granted. They feel exceptionally close to their co-workers because those pesky norms of corporate or educational institutions appear not to be enforced. With informality, comes noise. When I say noise, I mean those interactions that stand in the way of progress, that require attention "to work out" in deference to time spent accomplishing something for a client, constituent, or other collaborator. By focusing so heavily on relational practice, the goals of the organization--if small enough--can become diverted by the emotional needs of its members.

I am sure that is not the point of relational practice. Unintended consequences are still consequences.

Chetkovich, C., & Kunreuther, F. (2007). From the ground up: Grassroots organizations
making social change. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment